Sunday 4 November 2012

Lemony Crackle Cookies

I am totally into lemons right now. Maybe because it is so dreary out right now and the smell and taste of lemons just makes me feel awake and cheery.

I have also been doing some reading on the benefit of lemons in your daily diet (benefits from immune-boosting to infection fighting) so I am trying to incorporate lemon juice and lemon zest into as much as I can.

Today was especially cool and dreary, so I wanted to make some cookies with a zing! I hope you like these as much I do - they turned out soft and light - like Summer in my mouth.

                                           * I do really need to stop taking pictures with my camera phone...                     

What You'll Need (2 dozen):
  • MixMaster or hand blender
  • 1/2 cup of softened butter
  • 1 cup granulated sugar (I used 3/4 cup of my xylitol-based Ideal No Calorie Sweetener and 1/4 cup of sugar)
  • 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp lemon zest
  • 1 Tbps fresh lemon juice
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1.5 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup powdered sugar

What You'll Do:
  • Preheat your oven to 350 (175F)
  • Lightly grease your cookie sheet, or use a non-stick sheet
  • Cream your butter and sugar until fluffy looking
  • Add in your vanilla, lemon juice and lemon zest
  • Crack your egg into a small cup (to check if it is good), lightly stir with a fork then add into your mixture
  • Scrape down the sides of your bowl then mix again
  • In a separate bowl, combine your salt, baking powder, baking soda and flour
  • Stir until combined
  • Slowly add the dry mixture into your wet mixture, scraping down the sides occasionally to ensure everything is fully mixed in
  • Measure your powdered sugar into a bowl
  • If your dough seems little too soft, do not add more flour - just let the mixture set in the fridge for 20 minutes, covered
  • Roll small dough balls, approximately the size of a 2Euro coin/2Dollar coin
  • Place the ball into the powdered sugar to cover
  • Place the balls evenly spaced on your sheet (I fit 12 per sheet)
  • Bake for 8-12 minutes depending on your oven - you want them cooked through, but not over done. Ideally you should remove them when the top is no longer glossy looking and when the bottoms have just started to lightly brown
  • Let cool for a few minutes then move to a cooling rack
  • Enjoy...with a nice cup of tea (with lemon in it, of course!;)

Martha would love these cookies as they are pretty, have a nice, light taste and are fancy - just like her.

The STEWART SCORE:
Appearance: 1.5 (they look a whisper scabby, rather than 'crackly')
Taste: 2
Ease: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment