Sunday 9 December 2012

Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips

I love to bake quick breads.
After perfecting and then sharing my Pumpkin Bread recipe with you, I wanted to make a perfectly sharable banana bread recipe.

I think this one is it!

The trick - oil instead of butter and more chocolate chips than you think initially reasonable.



What You'll Need:
  • 3 very ripe medium-sized bananas
  • 2 large, free-range eggs
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/3 cup buttermilk
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 cup Ideal no-calorie sweetener (or white sugar)
  • 1 3/4 cups of all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 3/4 cups chocolate chips
  • 1 loaf pan
  • 2 mixing bowls

What You'll Do:
  • Lightly, but completely oil your loaf pan
  • Pre-heat your oven to 350C
  • In one of your mixing bowls, crack your eggs and beat until frothy looking (no need for any electric device, I know you can do this with a good 'ol fork...and that is what Martha would do)
  • Add in the bananas, give them a good squash with a fork to loosen them up and mix into the eggs

 

  • Pour in your oil, vanilla and buttermilk, mix thoroughly with the eggs and bananas
  • In your other mixing bowl, add in your flour, baking soda, sugar, cinnamon and salt. Stir until mixed through
  • Add your dry mixture into your wet mixture
  • Pour in your chocolate chips (you could also add in some walnuts...but I tend to think there is a direct correlation between the amount of nuts added to a recipe and the loss of fun whilst eating said recipe) 
  • HERE IS THE TRICK! Do not over-mix. Be gentle. Leave a few little lumps here and there for your homies
  • Pour into your pre-greased loaf pan
  • Pop into your oven, in the middle
  • Bake for anywhere from 50 to 1 hour 20 minutes depending on your oven. My oven, much like my body, runs hot :) So my loaf was cooked through in around 50 minutes. I could tell it was cooked through as, when I stuck in a toothpick into the centre of the loaf, it pulled out clean - no uncooked battery goo.

The STEWART SCORE:
Appearance: 2
Taste: 2
Ease: 1.5

No comments:

Post a Comment