Friday 28 December 2012

Tangy BBQ Sauce

I have never made BBQ sauce before, but looking at labels can be a scary thing and when I was out shopping for a sauce, it occured to me - instead of buying a pre-bottled sauce loaded with glucose of every shade possible - I can make my own.

So I did and so I will share you with the recipe my husband called "A ten out of ten". I love this tangy and sweet mustard based sauce and I hope you do, too!

What You'll Need:
  • Small heavy-bottomed sauce pan
  • 1/2 cup dijon mustard
  • 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup light brown sugar
  • 2/3 cup vinegar
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1 Tbsp sambal oelek (or any kind of your favourite wet chili sauce)
  • 1/3 cup cola (I used Diet Coke, as that is what we had in the house)
  • 1 tsp ground white pepper
  • 1/2 tsp ground chili
  • 1 Tbsp honey
  • 1 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
What You'll Do:
  • Place your saucepan onto a low heat
  • Add in your mustard, dark and brown sugar
  • Stir until combined, so when the temperature of the mixture has become hot
  • Add in your vinegar, water and sambal oelek - stir until thoroughly mixed
  • Pour in your cola - do this slowly as you don't want this to foam over the top of the pot
  • Ground in your pepper and add your dry chili
  • Pour in your honey and stir 
  • Let simmer for 30 minutes or until the mixture starts to thicken and look completely unified
  • Add in your soy sauce and simmer for another 5-10 minutes
  • Voila!
This sauce is super tasty and I used it on a Pulled Chicken Pita dish I made for dinner tonight.
I will post that recipe in a moment.

You can keep this recipe for a week if refrigerated.
I find this combination of sweet and tangy a very versatile combination that would work well with chicken or pork.

The STEWART SCORE:
Appearance: 1
Taste: 2
Ease: 1.5

No comments:

Post a Comment