Monday 18 June 2012

Rosemary, Vanilla and Lemon Air Freshener



I live in a small apartment in Amsterdam. I have a cat.
Though we tirelessly clean his litter box, he is a stinky little dude and there are days you desperately don't want to be 'those cat people'.
We have tried store-bought air fresheners and found them too powerful. We have tried organic compounds and found them useless.
I was reading up on herbs, as my herb garden is one of my new passions, and I found this ingeniously simple and aesthetically pleasing recipe for a Rosemary, Vanilla and Lemon air freshener.

Martha would be proud.

Its dead easy to make and made the house smell incredible in less than 20 minutes, sans harmful chemicals.


What You'll Need:
  • One lemon
  • A few springs of fresh rosemary
  • 1 Tbsp of vanilla essence (you don't need to waste the real stuff, as vanilla essence does the trick).
  • 2 cups water
  • Medium-sized pot

Though I am sure Martha would use freshly scraped Madagascar vanilla pods and filtered Himalayan spring water, I didn't and the smell was still wonderful.

What You'll Do:
  • Cut the lemon into thin slices
  • Prune your rosemary bush of a few, longer stems
  • Cover with water
  • Add the vanilla essence
  • Let simmer on a very low setting until desired smell is reached throughout your home. Check periodically to ensure the water is still covering all ingredients, top up if needed.

I love this little recipe. It makes me want to sit in my house all day, inhaling deeply.


Stewart Score:
Appearance: 2
Taste: N/A
Ease: 2 






1= Not Worthy
2 = Its a Good Thing


 


No comments:

Post a Comment