Wednesday 18 July 2012

A Dukan Orange Cake...Attempt

It is pouring in Amsterdam today so what better time to bake?
I pulled out my shiny new French Dukan cookbook to see what caught my eye (and had few instructions that I had to then translate).



I love citrus, it cheers me up, and a dreary day like today could use a little pick-me-up.

The gluten and sugar-free Dukan recipe called 'Far a l'Orange' appeared delicious...and easy.
Two things I value.
I am not sure what 'Far a l'Orange' means...when I translate it, it says 'Far Has Orange'.
Thanks for nothing, Google Translate.

I would like to think it means 'Exotic Orange Cake Tasting of Faraway Lands'.

Look how fluffy, neat and unburned it looks! I am sure I can recreate this tasty 'lil guy (she says optimistically before attempting...).

What You'll Need:
  • one mixing bowl
  • cute little baking containers as shown in the recipe (of which I have none, so I used muffin tins...don't tell Martha)
  • one large orange so you can zest the heck out of it
  • 8 Tbps of fat-free quark (or low-fat Greek yogurt)
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 Tbps of your powdered sweetener of choice
  • 6 Tbps of cornstarch
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp orange flavouring
  • 4 Tbsp of low-fat milk powder

What (the recipe says) You'll Do:
  • pre-heat your oven to 160C
  • mix all the ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl (I like to mix my wet and dry ingredients separately, as Martha would do that, but when and how you introduce your wet and dry is totally up to you)
  • pour your batter into your cute little cake pan, or muffin tins (for me it made 8 muffins)
  • according to the recipe, bake for 30 minutes...if you like things burned!! Its a good thing I kept an eye on these little babies as they cooked super fast. I left them in for 15 minutes and the tops were already turning an unsavoury shade of charcoal


  • on a positive note, they smelled like a little piece of heaven whilst cooking
  • on a negative note, they semi-exploded, glooping out angry looking batter projectiles which, thank goodness, did not drip into my oven. Burny, drippy ovens are the worst!
  • that's it

Admittedly, they are not that handsome of a cake. Martha would shake her well-coiffed head and send me packing.
They look like they are sticking their batter tongues out at you, mocking your failed culinary attempts.



They taste delish though.
Really and surprisingly so. They also have a nice, light texture, which surprised me with so much heavy quark.

I am not easily defeated. A Munro hates to loose. I will try this recipe again!


The STEWART SCORE:
Appearance: 0
Taste: 2
Ease: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment