Monday 2 July 2012

French Food Pictures

While in France last week, I took a photo of some of my most favourite dishes I think I can recreate, Dukan style along with some there is no way I can make healthy and will just look at these pictures and remember how super tasty they were.

A cucumber, tomato and goat cheese salad.

This will be easy to recreate and be Dukan friendly. They used a vinegar and oil dressing and thinly sliced cucumbers, marinated white onion and sliced tomatoes. All Dukan friendly items, except the oil. I would cut this out as it really isn't need to enhance the taste.

The wheel of goat cheese was incredible, easily the best goat cheese I have ever had (in Canada, I find it so salty). For this to be Dukan friendly, I would try to find a lower fat version, or weigh the amount to ensure only a 40g portion is served.

They sprinkled the dish with peppers and parsley.
Simple and delicious!




This cheese cake was the sweetest thing. This was at the Honfleur Saturday market and called St Amour (St Love) Cheese Cake. You can see the cake mold is in the shape of hearts when you cut individual slices!

I know there are many Dukan cheese cake recipes out there, but it is really hard to find non-fat or even low fat cream cheese in the Netherlands, so I am not sure I can try to attempt this one...so let's just enjoy the picture.


This was a half roast chicken, marinaded in Calvados and served with steamed green beans on a bed of lettuce. The little round, deep fried accompaniments were of undetermined origin. But, incredibly delicious. They tasted like little corn breads, deep friend but less corny...

This can easily be made Dukan friendly. Roast the chicken in the skin, but remove it before you tuck in. Calvados is an apple brandy, which I picked up (as the Dutch Apple Pie also called for this ingredient, which just happens to be local to Normandy). I think I will try this recipe for sure, perhaps for our next dinner party as roast chicken is an easy way to look like you slaved away all day in the kitchen and totally didn't (that is true Martha style).

 Pepper steak is on almost all restaurant menus and is super tasty.
The cut of steak they use is quite lean and this dish was served with steamed green beans and those mystery balls. The sauce was incredible, so smooth and creamy with a peppery kick to finish. I have zero idea how they made this sauce, but will do some investigation into pepper sauces and see how we can make it Dukan friendly, or at least lower fat (because I am sure there is loads of cream in there).

Thank you, France for your amazing food!

If Martha were to rank food in Paris and Normandy, the STEWART SCORE would be as follows:

Appearance: 2 (The French take such pride in the appearance of their food)
Taste: 2 (Eating well is not hard to do in this country where they take food very seriously)
Ease: 1 (All their rich sauces and precise presentations are not easy, but totally appreciated!)

No comments:

Post a Comment