Tuesday 17 July 2012

Dukan Cauliflower Mashed 'Potatoes'

Potatoes are not a part of the Dukan diet until you reach the stablization phase and can start incorporating 'celebration meals' and once-per-week starches.

I am from the Canadian Prairies and therefore a meat and potatoes kinda gal. I am really trying to break that habit though by incorporating other vegetables that offer me a lot more in terms of health benefits.

I started reading up on the wonders of cauliflower (or, 'bloemkool' in Dutch:) and thought I would try to create the perfect cauliflower mashed 'potato'.


Did you know cauliflowers are:
  • an excellent source of vitamin C - a great anti-oxidant (I know, and they're not even orange;)
  • very high in vitamin K - which helps aid in decreasing inflammation
  • high in fiber
  • a good source of protein
  • a super tasty alternative to potato...so here is the recipe!

What You'll Need (serves four):
  • a blender
  • one medium-sized cauliflower
  • one 1/2 cube of low-sodium chicken stock
  • 1.5 cups of water (to be boiled)
  • generous twist of freshly ground pepper
  • large dollop of fat-free plain Greek yogurt (my favourite kind is the Total 0% brand - super thick and creamy)
                                I know what you are thinking...I should be a hand model.

What You'll Do:
I have a steaming oven (and so does Martha, I'm sure), so I use that to steam my vegetables, but, if you don't, never fear - you can steam your cauliflower the conventional way on your stove top by covering it in seasoned water and letting it simmer, covered, until soft.
  • prep your cauliflower by removing all the green leaves and stem
  • chop your cauliflower into smaller chunks 
  • place the pieces in your pan, cut side down
  • boil 1.5 cups of water
  • place your 1/2 cube of low-sodium chicken stock in the boiled water
  • stir until dissolved

  • Pour the chicken stock mixture over your cauliflower
  • Let simmer for 5-10 minutes, or until very tender

  • Using a slotted spoon, take the softened cauliflower from your steaming pan and place inside your blender
  • Plop in your dollop of fat-free Greek yogurt

  • Twist in your pepper
  • Add a whisper of the remaining, seasoned water (I usually use about 1/4 cup but this depends on the freshness of your cauliflower. If it is older and drier, you may find you need a little more water. Easy does it though as you don't want your mixture to be too watery)
  • Mix through using a spatula
  • Blend until semi-smooth (I like leaving a few little lumps as it makes the cauliflower mixture much more believable in it's potato disguise)
  • Remove from blender and serve with another twist of ground pepper on top
  • That's it!
I just love this recipe as you can eat this as it is, as a side of mash, or you can use it as a topper. For example, I love to make Dukan-friendly 'Sheppard's Pie' where you add this on the top. Or, when I make zucchini boats, I add this onto the top.

Other additions you can try with this recipe:
  • If you fancy garlic, add in a clove of this either in the seasoned water mixture while steaming for a milder taste, or into the blender for a stronger taste
  • Not on the Dukan diet? Add in some shredded cheese while blending
  • Don't have low-fat yogurt on hand? Use low-fat quark or even low-fat cream cheese.

Play around with it. I would love to know what other recipes you use this on!

The STEWART SCORE:
Appearance: 1.5 (Its hard to make them magazine-spread worthy looking)
Taste: 2
Ease: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment