Wednesday 4 July 2012

Low Fat Dukan Baba Ganoush Recipe

I love dips.
Salsa, guacamole, spicy black bean, tzatziki, 7-layer...so many dips!

On the Dukan diet there are not many dips you can make that are diet friendly so last night I found an eggplant in my fridge drawer I had to use up and thought about making a diet-friendly, low-fat, gluten-free baba ganoush!

Researching baba ganoush recipes, there is quite a bit of oil and tahini in most recipes - both ingredients not permitted on the Dukan diet. So, I improvised and what I came out with even impressed my husband (and if Martha could taste it, I am pretty sure she would approve).

Best things? It is super easy to make, eggplant is in season right now, eggplants are antioxidants.



What You'll Need:
  • One eggplant
  • Shake of your favourite chili pepper spice (optional)
  • A couple twists of freshly ground pepper
  • Small twist of freshly ground sea salt
  • Squeeze of 1/2 a lemon
  • 1tsp grapeseed oil
  • 2 small or one large clove(s) of fresh garlic
  • 1/3 cup fat free Greek yogurt
  • 1/8 cup of water

What You'll Do:
  • Wash your eggplant
  • Heat your oven to 180C (375F)
  • Cut your eggplant into halves
  • Place cut eggplants, skin down, on a baking tray for 20 minutes or until soft
  • In a blender, add in the chili, pepper, salt, lemon juice, oil, garlic, yogurt
  • Remove your eggplant from the oven, let cool for 20 minutes
  • Cut up the eggplant into smaller chunks
  • Place the eggplant chunks into the blender
  • Pour your water over top
  • Start to pulse, then puree your mixture, scraping down the sides of the blender as you go
  • If the mixture is too thick, add another 1 tsp of water at a time until desired consistency is reached
  • Mix until thoroughly combined
  • Pour into a cute serving dish
  • Enjoy with your favourite dip-able veggie, or spread on your portion of bread slices (when on the stabilization or consolidation phase). What also may be nice is to use this as a topper or a spread. I love lean-ground beef stuffed peppers, having a dollop of this on the top would be lovely!

The STEWART SCORE:
Appearance: 1.5 
Taste: 2 
Ease: 1.5

Grapeseed oil and lemon juice are not allowed, but "tolerated" (when in small quantities) on the Dukan diet. And, because you won't (or maybe you will;) eat all this dip in one day, you are good to go!

1 comment:

  1. I made this dish and I guess I added too much garlic. Also, the eggplant had already so much water, it was too liquid after blending it. Anyways, I ended up with a disgusting liquid puree, I had to throw away. I'll tweak it de-watering the eggplant before placing it on the oven and using half a garlic clove. But thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete